Magnesium: The often overlooked mineral that could greatly improve your health
Magnesium is an essential mineral that plays a vital role in many of the body's functions. It is involved in over 300 enzymatic reactions in the body, including energy production, protein synthesis, and DNA synthesis. Despite its importance, many people are not getting enough magnesium in their diets. This can lead to a magnesium deficiency, which can have a number of negative health consequences.
Are you magnesium deficient?
There are several reasons why many people are deficient in magnesium, including:
- Poor dietary intake: One of the main reasons for magnesium deficiency is a lack of sufficient intake through the diet. Many people do not consume enough foods that are rich in magnesium, such as leafy greens, nuts, seeds, and whole grains.
- Poor absorption: Even if someone is consuming enough magnesium through their diet, they may still be deficient due to poor absorption. This can be due to various factors, such as certain medications, gastrointestinal disorders, or chronic diseases.
- Excessive alcohol consumption: Alcohol can interfere with the body's ability to absorb and utilize magnesium. Heavy alcohol consumption can lead to magnesium deficiency.
- Chronic stress: Chronic stress can lead to an increased demand for magnesium, as it is involved in the body's stress response. If someone is constantly stressed, they may be at risk of magnesium deficiency.
- Certain medications: Some medications, such as proton pump inhibitors and diuretics, can interfere with the body's absorption of magnesium.
The benefits of magnesium supplementation
By identifying magnesium deficiency and adding a magnesium supplement, it may be possible to correct the deficiency and improve overall health.
There are many potential benefits to taking a magnesium supplement, including:
- Reducing muscle cramps and spasms: Magnesium plays a crucial role in muscle relaxation, and a deficiency can lead to muscle cramps and spasms. By taking a magnesium supplement, you can help reduce these symptoms.
- Improving sleep: Magnesium has been shown to improve sleep quality and help people fall asleep faster.
- Reducing stress and anxiety: Magnesium has a calming effect on the body and can help reduce stress and anxiety.
- Reducing migraines: Magnesium supplements have been shown to reduce the frequency and severity of migraines.
- Improving bone health: Magnesium is important for the formation and maintenance of strong bones.
- Lowering blood pressure: Magnesium has been shown to help lower blood pressure in people with high blood pressure.
- Improving insulin sensitivity: Magnesium can help improve insulin sensitivity and may be beneficial for people with diabetes or at risk of developing diabetes.
Not all magnesium is made equal
There are several different types of magnesium supplements available,some with more health benefits than others. For example magnesium oxide is the most common and inexpensive form of magnesium, but it has low bioavailability, meaning that it is not easily absorbed by the body.
In comparison, magnesium bisglycinate is a form of magnesium that is bound to two molecules of glycine, an amino acid. It is considered a highly bioavailable form of magnesium, which means that it is easily absorbed by the body.
There are several reasons why magnesium bisglycinate may be considered better than other forms of magnesium:
- High bioavailability: As mentioned, magnesium bisglycinate is a highly bioavailable form of magnesium, which means that it is easily absorbed by the body. This is important because it increases the chances that the body will be able to utilize the magnesium effectively.
- Gentle on the digestive system: Magnesium bisglycinate is less likely to cause digestive side effects, such as bloating, diarrhea, and stomach cramps, compared to other forms of magnesium. This is because it is bound to glycine, which has a soothing effect on the digestive system.
- May be better absorbed by people with low stomach acid: Some people, particularly older adults, may have low stomach acid, which can interfere with the absorption of certain nutrients. Magnesium bisglycinate may be better absorbed by people with low stomach acid compared to other forms of magnesium.
For these reasons, Kardish made our own magnesium bisglycinate supplement. Stop by one of our stores across Ottawa to pick up yours today.