Check out our NEW December flyer deals!
Whole Food Detoxification Plan
By: Rachelle Viinberg, ND
The change of season from winter to spring is the ideal time to detoxify. During the winter months, your body has accumulated toxins due to immune challenges, poor diet choices, and the mental/emotional and physical stresses of the long cold season.
Following this daily nutrition regime for 21 days will result in the safe and gentle assistance of your liver to process the toxins and support your urinary tract, lymphatic system, and gastrointestinal tract in eliminating the toxins.
- Start each morning with 1/4 lemon squeezed into 500 ml of room temperature water.
- For breakfast choose a nutrient-dense smoothie that includes: 15 grams of high-quality rice, hemp or pea protein powder, 1/2 cup almond or rice milk, one banana, 1/2 cup blueberries, and a large handful of spinach or kale. For added support, include 1 tbsp of coconut oil and 1 tbsp of ground flax seeds.
- Mid-morning, choose a piece of organic fruit and ten almonds or 1 tbsp of almond butter.
- Lunch includes protein like beans and lentils, organic chicken or turkey, wild game like bison or elk served with brown rice, quinoa, sweet potatoes, and an abundance of vegetables. This can be done in various ways, for example, cold as a salad with an oil-based salad dressing or warm as a stir fry seasoned with garlic and ginger.
- Mid-afternoon, choose raw vegetables like carrots, peppers, or celery and 3 tbsp of hummus.
- Dinner is similar to lunch. To keep things interesting, make soups or stews that follow the same guidelines of protein, gluten-free grain, and lots of veggies. Also, add healthy fats to each meal like avocado, roasted nuts and seeds, goat cheese, and different salad dressings and sauces.
- Ideally, fast each night for at least 12 hours. ff you are hungry choose a brown rice cake with almond or cashew butter and honey.
- Finally, drink at least 2 litres of water and replace coffee with herbal tea.
For an advanced detoxification program, please get in touch with one of the Naturopathic doctors at drkristylewis.ca. They will be able to assess your level of toxicity and provide a specific and individualized protocol.
Daily Detox Tips
I believe strongly in an annual or bi-annual whole body detoxification program to maintain optimal health and prevent disease. That being said, there are a few simple things you can do daily all year round to support your liver and keep your liver colon healthy.
1) Elevate your lemon water: Squeeze 1/4 lemon into 250 ml warm water, add a pinch of cayenne pepper and 1/4 tsp maple syrup. Drink 15 minutes before breakfast to jump-start your metabolism, support the liver detoxification pathways and decrease inflammation.
2) Add flaxseed: Add 2 tbsp of ground flaxseed to your morning breakfast. Ground flax seeds act as a bulking agent and assist in removing toxins through your bowel movements.
3) Consider your gut health: Probiotics are essential in maintaining healthy gut flora and are required for effective elimination, immune health, and detoxification. Include 5 tbsp of kefir (a fermented milk source) in your daily diet. Kefir yields a highly high probiotic, up to 5 billion per tbsp.
4) Start your day right: Start each day with a nutrient-rich smoothie with frozen blueberries, banana, kale or spinach, almond milk, rice, or hemp-based protein powders. A smoothie s an excellent way for you to get powerful antioxidants and fiber and assist in balancing your blood sugar levels.
5)Change your shower technique: Finally, practice contrast showering. This involves cycling through hot and cold temperature changes during your shower, always ending with a cold. This will stimulate metabolism and promote healthy circulation and lymphatic drainage.
To learn more about daily detoxification practices or discuss a more extensive and advanced program, contact us at www.drkristylewis.ca.