Butternut Squash Salad Recipe
This butternut squash salad is a must-try fall recipe! It's filled with spiced squash, pomegranates, goat cheese & a delicious cumin-date dressing.
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cubed
- ½ to 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne, less if sensitive to spice
- 6 cups loose-packed spring mix greens
- 2 ounces goat cheese, torn into smaller pieces
- 2 Medjool dates, pitted and diced
- ¼ cup pomegranate seeds
- ¼ cup pistachios, crushed and toasted
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Cider Date Dressing (makes extra)
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 Medjool date, pitted
- ½ garlic clove
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- sea salt
- black pepper, to taste
- 3 to 5 tablespoons water, as needed to blend
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the butternut squash cubes on the sheet and drizzle with olive oil and pinches of sea salt and pepper. Toss to coat and spread evenly on the baking sheet. Roast for 30 to 35 minutes, or until tender and browned around the edges.
- In a small bowl, stir together the cumin, coriander, cinnamon and cayenne. Set aside.
- Make the Cider Date Dressing: In a blender, combine the olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, date, garlic, cumin, salt, pepper, and 3 tablespoons of water. Add 1 to 2 more tablespoons of water as needed to blend.
- Remove the butternut squash from the oven, let cool slightly, and, while warm, toss with the spice mixture.
- Assemble the salad with the spring mix greens and half of the roasted squash. Drizzle with ? of the dressing, toss lightly, then add the remaining squash, goat cheese, dates, pomegranates, and pistachios. Drizzle with more dressing as desired. Serve immediately.