Holiday Homemade Gifts
Holiday Homemade Gifts
Want to give the perfect gift but aren’t sure where to start? Nothing says you care quite like a homemade gift. So we’ve compiled a list of some of our favourite gifts with health and sustainability in mind! Check them out:
Looking for an eco-friendly gift that is both cute and thoughtful? Enter beeswax wraps. This practical gift can cover leftovers to be stately stored in the fridge. Simply rinse and reuse over and over for an environmentally friendly kitchen tool. Wondering how to make them? Here’s what you’ll need:
- Cosmetic-grade beeswax pellets
- 100% cotton fabric
- Scissors or pinking shears
- Parchment paper
- Baking sheet
- Hanger (optional)
- Binder clips or clothespins (optional)
- Ruler (optional)
- Cut the fabric.
Preheat the oven to 200°F or the lowest setting. Cut the fabric into sizes that will fit on your baking sheet.
- Place on a baking tray.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the fabric on top. If your material is one-sided, place the patterned side facedown. Use a fresh piece of parchment paper each time you make another wrap.
3. Sprinkle the pellets.
Evenly distribute a liberal amount of beeswax pellets all over the fabric. Make sure you get pellets near the edges too.
- Melt and spread the beeswax.
Place the sheet in the oven for about 4-8 minutes. When the pellets melt completely, take the tray out and use a paintbrush to spread the wax evenly over the entire fabric.
- Let dry.
Remove the fabric from the baking sheet. It should feel cool to the touch after waving it for a few seconds in the air. Hang the fabric up to dry or set it on the back of a chair with the beeswax side facing up.
Have a friend who might be looking for a natural alternative to a room freshener? Why not try making your own and gifting a lavender linen spray? You can also make a linen spray out of the most essential oils. Kardish carries a wide variety to get you started. Here’s how:
- 1/4 cup witch hazel
- 35-40 drops lavender essential oil
- 3/4 cup distilled water
- glass spray bottle
- Combine witch hazel and lavender essential oil in a jar or glass spray bottle. Put the lid on and shake to combine thoroughly.
- Open glass bottle and add the water. Shake again to combine all the ingredients.
- Spray on linens, towels, robes, ironing, etc. It can even be used on the skin!
Looking to make a gift for a friend or family member into beauty? We have the perfect sugar scrub recipe, made with Kardish coconut oil and brown sugar. Here’s how to put it together:
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup solid (but soft) coconut oil
- Extra additions (vanilla extract, essential oils, etc.)
- Mix the sugar, oil, and any extra additions until the mixture looks creamy and resembles loose cookie dough.
- You may use a food processor, but don't let it process too long, or the coconut oil will melt, and the mixture will separate. If this happens, just put it in the freezer for a few minutes to solidify and mix again.
- Store in an airtight container. This mixture can last for weeks to a few months. However, if it's stored in the shower, you may have the same problem with separation as the coconut oil warms. Simply stir it around with your finger before using it.
A collection of your favourite recipes
Finally, for the friend interested in cooking, why not put together a recipe box of all your favourite recipes? You can personalize each recipe card or the package itself specifically for the person you’re creating it for. Not sure where to get recipes? Our blog is full of them, and they're healthy too!