Keeping Up with Kardish: Meet Twinkle
Let us introduce you to Twinkle. Her personality is as bright as her name! She recently moved to Canada with her husband from India and by profession is a pharmacist. She currently works at Kardish full-time, and also manages a youtube channel! When she moved to Ottawa, she found that Kardish was a place where she could incorporate all her past knowledge. Kardish was a perfect fit!
“I like having different areas to chat with customers about. I’m a talkative person, so it’s a perfect match,” said Twinkle.
Although Twinkle is a vegetarian, she is a big foodie. “I’m so glad to live in a multicultural country that encourages me to try new things,” she says. Twinkle’s big tip of the day is to keep a balanced meal. She usually has one cheat meal, something that she is craving. Then, she makes sure to eat one meal which is super healthy to give her the right balance. “I’ve got good role models here at work. My managers are a nutritionist and yoga fanatics, so they always motivate me.”
Twinkle also has amazing background knowledge in make-up and skincare. “I love making make-up and skincare videos and tutorials for my channel followers,” says Twinkle. “I also review electronics like hair straighteners, epilator, facial cleansing spin brush, and such.” Her strong interest in all things skincare means that she’s also super regular with her own personal skin care routine. “I’ve always had an interest in skincare, especially homemade remedies.”
Back in India, Twinkle’s favorite remedy was a mixture of chickpea flour and turmeric. It’s great for bathing in or using a facemask. She also loves using Aloe Vera and tea tree in her hair and face masks. “My favorite combination of oil treatments is olive oil or castor oil as a carrier oil along with essential oils like peppermint and tea tree.This blend really calms you down and puts you to sleep, and plus it’s also good for your hair,” says Twinkle.
If you’re looking for a trick to relax you and sleep better, Twinkle suggests this foot soak:
- Use hot water
- Add 2-3 drops of peppermint oil
- 2-3 camphor oil
- A few drops of eucalyptus oil
- Finally, add epsom salts
While Twinkle has always been dedicated to skincare, her passion for make-up started in high school. Her first attempt was for a dance competition where she started playing around with concealer, which she used as a base, and then lipstick, which she used as eyeshadow and blush. How creative! She had no previous knowledge of how to correctly apply make-up, but after the show, she received a lot of compliments on her work. That’s where her passion sprouted.
“I get my inspiration from various online make-up artists and YouTubers and I also love playing around with colours,” says Twinkle.
Although she loves chatting about skincare with customers, as it’s such a universal topic, her customers also come to her for help in choosing the right supplement.
“I’m super chatty, so there isn’t just one topic I can talk to customers about. Most of the customers come to me for stress, anxiety, sleep, and sometimes even a combination. I also help customers with women-related supplements such as hormonal imbalance, menstrual cramps, collagen needs, and more,” says Twinkle.
Kardish has also taught her a lot about the Ketogenic diet, so she can comfortably chat about that with customers as well. Being a healthcare professional, Twinkle plays a big role in the community. “It’s not as simple as just over the counter melatonin. There are a lot of different types of products. It’s about knowing what's best for your customer,” she says.
Twinkle’s Tips for staying happy and healthy:
- Have a cheat day or cheat meal! - it’s important for your physical and mental health
- physical activity is a must (yoga, surya namaskar, exercise, meditate)
- Try to eat home-cooked food.
- Listen to music, spend time with your family, or do something else that keeps yourself happy.
- Spend time with pets! It helps release stress and can start your day nicely.
- Come to Kardish and talk to us! After a long day, come to our Merivale store, check out our aromatherapy section, listen to the soft music playing, and chat with us!
Twinkle’s taste in food is as strong as her aromatherapy preferences! Check out this amazing Pav Bhaji recipe:
1 cup frozen mix vegetables (available at Kardish)
2 roughly chopped potatoes
1 roughly chopped tomato
1 roughly chopped onion
Cilantro leaves, garlic, ginger, chilly powder, turmeric powder, cumin seeds, vegan butter or regular salted butter, salt, garam masala (optional)
- In a big pan pour 2 cups of water and 1 teaspoon of salt. Add all the vegetables (potato, peas, tomatoes, French beans) and boil it for 20 minutes
- Then mash all of them with a potato masher and let it cool down in a separate container.
- In the same pan take some butter or vegan butter (1 scoop)
- Add roughly chopped onions, ginger, and garlic with cumin seeds, chilly powder, and turmeric and saute it for a minute.
- Add the mashed vegetables into it and cook it on low medium flame.
- You can add water to adjust the thickness of the curry.
- Add cilantro leaves and give it a good mix.
- Add a scoop of butter
Voila! Curry or bhaji is ready. Squeeze a lime or lemon to give tangy flavor before eating.
You can eat this with white or brown bread and it goes very well with spelt flour bread from Kardish!
A fun fact about Twinkle is that she always has an emergency kit on her. She never leaves home without it. Let’s take a look inside:
- Her make-up
- Pack of electrolytes (vitamin C for when you’re low on energy)
- Nutritional bar (for when you’re hungry!)
- Sanitary napkin
- Mint or toffee
- Lip balm (Burts Bees)
Head over to our Merivale location and meet Twinkle in person! She’ll be glad to share more of her favorite skincare, aromatherapy, and nutritional tips with you!