Top 5 Health Benefits Of Paddle Boarding, And A Chance To Win Your Own!
Stand-up paddle boarding has become hugely popular over the past few years, and with good reason! It’s relatively easy to do, and has terrific health benefits.
Just imagine yourself paddle boarding through the heart of Ottawa on the Rideau Canal- what a great way to spend a balmy summer evening.
You could win your very own paddle board courtesy of Manitoba Harvest and Kardish Health Food Centre! All you need to do is fill out a ballot at any of Kardish’s nine Ottawa locations by August 1st, 2016 for your chance to win!
Here are some of the great benefits of Paddle Boarding:
- It improves your balance: Standup paddle boarding requires you to stand upright on the board, which requires – and builds - core stability and leg strength to maintain balance.
- It gives you a full body workout: Nearly every muscle in your body is used at some point during paddle boarding. Leg muscles attempt to stabilize your center of gravity, while your arms, back and shoulders are used to propel the paddleboard in the water. The core, back and abdominal muscles work to maintain your balance.
- It’s low impact: Standup paddling is a very low impact exercise. It is particularly useful for runners who are experiencing shin splints or knee and hip pain, yet require exercise during their healing. It is very gentle on your muscles and joints.
- Gives you a cardio workout: If you spend enough time out on the water paddle boarding, you can get a good cardio workout. You can also race your friends while paddling to make it a bit more motivating and challenging, which is a good way to get the heart rate up. Because engaging in paddle boarding is similar to running, aerobics, or even cross-training, you’ll have improved cardiovascular health and less risk for related diseases.
- Connects you with nature and reduces stress: Being on the water is calming, and being in nature is scientifically shown to have a positive effect on your mental health and stress levels. And it never hurts to get some extra vitamin D from the sun!
Click here to find the Kardish store that’s closest to you!
Click here to see Kardish’s general contest rules.