Whole Food Detoxification Plan
By: Rachelle Viinberg, ND
The change of season from winter to spring is the ideal time to detoxify. During the winter months, your body has accumulated toxins due to immune challenges, poor diet choices, and the mental/emotional and physical stresses of the long cold season.
Following this daily nutrition regime for 21 days will result in the safe and gentle assistance of your liver to process the toxins and support your urinary tract, lymphatic system, and gastrointestinal tract in eliminating the toxins.
- Start each morning with 1/4 lemon squeezed into 500 ml of room temperature water.
- For breakfast choose a nutrient-dense smoothie that includes: 15 grams of high-quality rice, hemp or pea protein powder, 1/2 cup almond or rice milk, one banana, 1/2 cup blueberries, and a large handful of spinach or kale. For added support, include 1 tbsp of coconut oil and 1 tbsp of ground flax seeds.
- Mid-morning, choose a piece of organic fruit and ten almonds or 1 tbsp of almond butter.
- Lunch includes protein like beans and lentils, organic chicken or turkey, wild game like bison or elk served with brown rice, quinoa, sweet potatoes, and an abundance of vegetables. This can be done in various ways, for example, cold as a salad with an oil-based salad dressing or warm as a stir fry seasoned with garlic and ginger.
- Mid-afternoon, choose raw vegetables like carrots, peppers, or celery and 3 tbsp of hummus.
- Dinner is similar to lunch. To keep things interesting, make soups or stews that follow the same guidelines of protein, gluten-free grain, and lots of veggies. Also, add healthy fats to each meal like avocado, roasted nuts and seeds, goat cheese, and different salad dressings and sauces.
- Ideally, fast each night for at least 12 hours. ff you are hungry choose a brown rice cake with almond or cashew butter and honey.
- Finally, drink at least 2 litres of water and replace coffee with herbal tea.
For an advanced detoxification program, please get in touch with one of the Naturopathic doctors at drkristylewis.ca. They will be able to assess your level of toxicity and provide a specific and individualized protocol.