Holiday Baking Swap Out
The holidays are filled with yummy treats, but with that comes refined sugar, bleached flour, artificial colours, flavours and preservatives. We are all about indulging every now and then, especially during the holidays. We figured that if we could create something healthy and delicious we could indulge even more, right? We've shared some of our healthy alternatives to typical baking ingredients to inspire a more wholesome and delicious holiday season!
Make the perfect frosting.
- Coconut Butter + Cocoa Butter, see recipe
- Melt coconut butter and add PB2 + maple syrup
- Daiya Cream Cheese + Vegan Yogurt, see recipe
- Macadamia Nuts + Cashews, see recipe
- Coconut Oil + Chocolate, see recipe
Say goodbye to bleached wheat flour.
- Nut & seed flours (we like to grind almonds and sunflower seeds)
- Oat flour (you can simply blend whole oats)
- Gluten-free grains like sorghum, millet, brown rice, quinoa
- Arrowroot powder
- Tapioca starch
- Bean flours
- Finely shredded coconut
- Coconut flour
Ditch processed vegetable shortening.
- Coconut oil
- Earth Balance Buttery Spread
- Organic butter
Discover natural alternatives to food colouring.
- Powdered greens
- Ground turmeric
- Beet juice
- Pomegranate Juice
Not a great baker? You can always whip up a quick and delicious treat using gluten-free mixes by Bob's Red Mill.
Do you have a healthy holiday tip or trick? Be sure to spread the cheer with our community on Twitter and Facebook. We promise that one of our elves will take a moment out of holiday preparations to read every comment.