You Don't Know Jackfruit?
Meatless Mondays just got… fruitier?
In 2014, NPR called jackfruit “A Ginormous Fruit To Feed The World” and The Guardian heralded jackfruit as a “miracle crop” for its potential to replace food supplies under threat by climate change, while this summer, a puzzled National Post writer dubbed jackfruit “the produce that needs a user’s manual.”
If you’ve tried ripe jackfruit in a dessert, seeing it served as pulled pork might confuse you.
See, this tropical fruit has a dual identity. When ripe, jackfruit tastes sweet and somewhat tangy, like a pineapple or mango, but unripe this mild-mannered relative of the mulberry becomes a single-ingredient, meat-substituting superhero.
My first experience with Jackfruit was four years ago, through a link to a YouTube video titled “TV Host Calls Vegan Chef a Liar on National TV.” The clip featured chef Timothy Moore preparing pulled pork-style jackfruit on an Indianapolis morning show, and the host’s utter disbelief convinced me to track down a can in 2012.
These days it’s a lot easier to get this amazingly versatile fruit into your hands - we sell cans of organic young jackfruit at our Kardish stores.
Take a look at some of the unbelievable recipes we’ve tried:
- BBQ Jackfruit Sandwiches with Avocado Slaw - Made with just 10 ingredients.
- Sriracha “Pulled Pork” Sammiches with Pickled Red Onion - Made with just a ½ cup of sriracha.
- Brown Baggin’ It: Crab Salad - Think gourmet tuna salad, and it’s 100% dolphin-safe.
- Jackfruit Fish-Free Tacos - Great for taco night! Also includes a recipe for cashew cheese sauce.
- Easy Jackfruit Curry - Want to learn how to make curry from scratch?
- Vegan Gyros with Jackfruit and Creamy Tzatziki - This recipe even name-checks the brand of canned jackfruit that we stock.