Recipe: Amy’s hearty veggie & bean soup
By: Amy Longard, Holistic Nutritionist
Yields 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large leek, white parts chopped into rounds or half moons (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium carrot chopped into thin rounds or half moons
- 2 ribs of celery chopped
- 2 - 4 cloves of garlic minced
- A pinch of red chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 small butternut squash, medium dice (about 3 cups)
- 2 (398 mL/14 oz) can white beans, drained and rinsed or 3 cups cooked
- 6 - 8 cups of water or low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 - 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups (or more) of leafy greens of your choice (baby spinach, kale, collards, etc)
- Warm the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the leeks, carrot, celery and a pinch of salt and sauté until the veggies have softened. Add the garlic and cook for another minute, then add the oregano, basil and thyme.
- Add the butternut squash, beans, water or vegetable broth and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a low and simmer for 15 - 20 minutes or until the butternut squash is easily pierced by a fork.
- Stir in the salt salt and leafy greens. Simmer for a few minutes more to allow the greens to wilt. Take a little taste of your soup and season with additional salt and black pepper. Serve immediately with a drizzle of your favourite balsamic vinegar or a squeeze of lemon and a nice piece of crusty bread.